District energy is a system that provides heating, cooling, and hot water to multiple buildings from a central plant. It is a more efficient and sustainable way to produce energy than traditional on-site systems, and it can offer significant cost savings for apartment complexes.
Here are five ways that district energy can reduce the costs of your apartment complex:
1. Reduced energy costs.
District energy systems are typically more efficient than traditional on-site systems, meaning that they can produce the same amount of energy with less fuel. This can lead to significant savings on energy costs for apartment complexes.
2. Reduced maintenance costs.
District energy systems are typically owned and operated by a professional energy provider, which means that apartment complex owners do not have to worry about the cost and hassle of maintaining their own energy systems. This can free up resources that can be used to improve other aspects of the apartment complex.
3. Reduced environmental impact.
District energy systems are typically powered by renewable energy sources, such as biomass, geothermal, and solar energy. This can help apartment complexes to reduce their environmental impact and meet their sustainability goals.
4. Improved comfort and reliability.
District energy systems typically provide more reliable and consistent heating and cooling than traditional on-site systems. This can lead to improved comfort for tenants and reduced maintenance costs for apartment complex owners.
5. Increased property value.
Apartment complexes with district energy systems are often more attractive to tenants and buyers. This is because district energy systems offer a number of benefits, including reduced energy costs, improved comfort and reliability, and reduced environmental impact.
In addition to these five benefits, district energy can also help apartment complexes to attract and retain tenants. Tenants are increasingly looking for sustainable and affordable housing, and district energy can help apartment complexes to meet these needs.
District energy in action: Custom House Square, Dublin
5 ways that Frontline Energy helped Custom House Square reduce costs and improve energy efficiency:
- Negotiated a significant six-figure sum for dilapidations and a refund for overcharging on gas bills.
- Secured full project finance through an Energy Performance Contract (EPC), meaning zero capital expenditure for the management company.
- Optimised the district heating system, reducing electrical pumping power and thermal losses.
- Refitted the common areas and car park with LED lighting, fitted with motion and daylight sensors.
- Secured a SEAI grant for 30% of project capital costs.
- €165,000 in cost savings in the 1st year since project completion.
- Reduced operational expenditure and carbon footprint.
- Improved reliability and performance of the district heating system.
Overall, Frontline Energy's work at Custom House Square has resulted in significant financial and environmental benefits for the development.
Get in touch
Contact Frontline Energy today to find out more about this project and the full range of mechanical and electrical services including in-house facilities management, heating ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC), and district heating management and maintenance.