Built in 2000, Custom House Square is a mixed-use development situated in the IFSC, Dublin1. The complex comprises 588 apartments built over 3 phases and commercial space used for retail and food services.
"Frontline Energy has worked with Custom House Square Management Company since 2013 when we were in negotiations with Bord Gais to acquire our district heating system for them. During the negotiations, Frontline was instrumental in negotiating a significant six figure sum (in excess of €200,000) from Bord Gais Heat for dilapidations. Additionally, since taking on the management of the District Heating at Custom House Square, Frontline has also secured a refund of €80,000 from BGE/Gas Networks Ireland, for overcharging on gas bills for sites charges. Finally, Frontline continues to assist the Owners Management Company with valuable, measured advice, and assistance and I have no hesitation in recommending Frontline to manage any District Energy Scheme."
- Shay Gannon Building Services Manager, Custom House Square Management CLG
Frontline Energy manages the development’s centralised energy centres, which generate and distribute heat to residents. This includes the operation & maintenance of the energy plant equipment and the billing and administration of the delivery of heat to residential apartments. Based on Frontline’s site knowledge and leveraging their team of energy consultants, the energy centres were assessed for potential efficiency improvements to reduce operational expenditure and the site’s carbon footprint. Based on the energy survey, the management company engaged Frontline to develop a fully funded turnkey energy project. Frontline’s role in the project included:
System Design and Specification
- Full redesign of the 3 no. energy centres including boilers, CHP and a central BMS system.
- Rationalising thermal distribution network, reducing electrical pumping power and thermal losses.
- A full LED lighting refit of the common areas and car park, fitted with motion and daylight sensors.
Procurement and Contract Administration
- Generation of project tender pack.
- Analysis of tender responses and recommendations to management company.
- Project management, contract administration and signoff on works.
Finance, Insurance and Grants
- Securing of full project finance from IEEF through an Energy Performance Contract (EPC).
- Procurement of insurance on energy savings, guaranteeing savings to client.
- Obtaining SEAI grant for 30% of project capital costs.
- Measurement and Verification (M&V) of energy savings for IEEF and SEAI.
The total cost of this project was just over €750,000, of which 30% was funded through the SEAI’s Better Energy Communities energy grant, and the remainder through the Irish Energy Efficiency Fund (IEEF) via an EPC. This meant zero capital expenditure for the management company, with the project repayments generated through energy savings and reduced maintenance costs.
In the 1st year since project completion the project has generated cost savings of €165,000 to the management company, through energy savings and reduced maintenance costs.